Cwmamman United 3 Seven Sisters Onllwyn 1

In a match that saw a consistent downpour from the first whistle to the last Cwmamman Utd earned a crucial three points with a display that was strong in all the key areas.

The newly laid Grenig Park surface held up well to the weather onslaught allowing Cwm to play to their passing strengths while Seven Sisters were always looking to build that bit quicker in attack.

Charlie Davies and Ross Morgan established a level of control very early and Cwm launched some early attacks with Sion Dafydd Williams and Calem Rees coming close.

However, it was the away team who struck first when Ross Newell’s sharp flick header from a free kick went in off the bar in the 19th minute. 

Then Cwm suffered another blow when defender Cory Saunders had to leave the field in the 23rd minute and he was replaced by Gwion Howell. 

It didn’t impact the Cwm flow though and after some pressure a slick Howell pass in the 37th minute saw Williams through on goal. Harris in goal made a valiant save but Williams followed up to nod it home for 1-1.

With Cwm now rampant a neat Davies pass in the 40th minute saw Calem Rees finish strongly for the lead.

Then just on half time Williams connected well to see his shot hit the post and agonisingly go just wide of the opposite post. 

Seven Sisters really needed half time, and it came without further damage.


After a strong team talk. they started the stronger in the second half and Kai Rees was called upon to make an excellent save.

Ronan Templeton, Grant Rees and Callum Dougal were very strong in defence in the difficult conditions and Harrison Thomas was having a great game on the left-hand side of midfield.

The key goal then came in the 73rd minute when after a number of close attempts Gwion Howell managed to tuck away a shot from the outstretched hand of Harris in goal.

The final 15 minutes saw Seven Sisters put Cwm under severe pressure as they chased the game but very little happened in the way of good chances as the Cwm defence held firm for an important win.

Cwm now host AFC Llwydcoed at Grenig Park on Friday evening in another battle for crucial points.