Ammanford had to settle for a point in goalless draw on their visit to the Pen Y Pound stadium on Friday night, despite being much the better team for much of the second half.

A hard fought first half saw both teams have chances to score.

Ammanford keeper Kyle Marsh had to be alert as early as the first minute, saving well to prevent Abergavenny taking an early lead.

Ammanford slowly grew into the game with their best efforts in the first half hour coming from Callum Silcox and Liam Samuel who both saw shots fly over the bar.

Ben Soal then tested home keeper Connor Christie with a long range shot shortly before half time.

Ammanford took a grip of the game after half time with Soal particularly prominent in midfield.

The ever-dangerous Jordan Langley came close to giving Ammanford the lead two minutes after the break, forcing a save from home keeper Christie.

South Wales Guardian: Ammanford would call themselves unlucky not to walk away with the three pointsAmmanford would call themselves unlucky not to walk away with the three points (Image: Ian Parfitt)

Marsh produced a fine save in the 61st minute, tipping the ball over the bar to prevent the home side taking the lead.

The rest of the half belonged to Ammanford with Langley and Callum Thomas looking particularly dangerous.


In the 64th minute a Liam Samuel free kick brought another fine save from Christie.

Callum Thomas came very close to giving Ammanford a deserved lead in the 73rd minute, bursting into the area but his shot found the side netting.

Ammanford were certainly knocking on the door at this point but could not find their way past a resolute home rear-guard.

Ammanford survived a penalty claim from the home side in the dying seconds, referee George Nemes awarding a free kick outside the area despite vociferous claims from both home players and bench that the foul had occurred inside the area.

Ammanford survived to return home with a point.

They will look to return to winning ways when the entertain Pontardawe Town at the Rec on Tuesday, December 6.