Llandovery took to the field at Newport Stadium under the Thursday night lights and S4C cameras for a top-of-the-table clash with Newport RFC. 

It was a strong start for Llandovery who went 6-0 up after two Jack Maynard penalties in the first 15minutes. 

The Drovers applied a lot of pressure in the first 25 minutes but Newport take the lead with an opportunist try scored and converted by Matt O’Brien for a 7-6 home lead. 

The first half was competitive, but opportunities were few and far between as there were a lot of easy turnovers on both sides.

Drovers had a bit of an attack close to the Newport line but lost possession, to the delight of the home fans. 

Newport receive a warning for repeated infringements around the scrum which leads to a Drovers penalty and line out close to the Newport try line but its botched badly, with Newport regaining possession and winning a penalty after drovers pulled the subsequent maul down, allowing Newport to clear their lines. A good set of phases for the Black and Ambers ended in disappointment after the bounce wasn’t in favour of Newport’s winger.

The final phases of the first half see Llandovery on the Newport 22 line, but their efforts were wasted.

It was a strong start to the second half for the Drovers with some good phase play but they still struggled with maintaining possession, making errors that Newport are able to capitalise on to regain possession and clear their lines. An injury led to the premature introduction of scrum half Lee Rees, who injected a burst of speed into the game. He made a break but it was pulled back for a penalty to Newport. 

A subsequent penalty saw O’Brien extend Newport’s lead to 10-6. 

One place Llandovery dominated in the first half was the scrum, however, Newport were able to improve their scrum and make a stronger challenge in the second period against Llandovery’s fresh front row after both starting props were replaced. 

A good turnover by Newport in the 62nd minute, led to a kick away and young scrum half Che Hope to race down the wing and score in the corner, O’Brien’s conversion from the touch line further extending their lead to 17-6.

Drovers have some good possession to get close to the Newport line and pick and go through the phases but possession is lost for a Newport scrum.

The clock stops after some more back and for to allow for Drovers’ Jac Davies to receive lengthy treatment for what looked to be a nasty injury and we hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

The remaining seven minutes resume once Davies has been stretchered off and Newport take to the attack with a number of phases in the Drovers 22 but play is halted and Drovers are dealt another blow as Harry Thomas is yellow carded for a no arms tackle and Newport quickly take advantage with replacement hooker Henry Palmer going over for a try, converted by Matt O’Brien with the final score at Newport RFC 24-6 Llandovery RFC.

Drivers were unable to capitalise on their possession due to a strong Newport defence.

Drovers’ 15-game unbeaten streak has come to an end against their top-of-the-table rivals, with Newport taking the top spot. But it’s not over for Llandovery to top the table at the end of the regular season as there are two remaining games for the Drovers.