This was a game Ammanford should have won at a canter, however, some poor decisions kept Tata in the game.

Tata started well using the wind advantage pushed Ammanford back and a nice half break by the outside half created a gap for the winger to squeeze into the corner. Ammanford soon got their game going and some good inter passing between forwards and backs set up a ruck 10m out. Coming off his wing, Elis Lewis, rounded the ruck and found a nice gap to accelerate through to score, Outside half Ryan Williams added the extra. 5 – 7.

Ammanford’s back three of Elis, Liam Smith and full back Frazer Gregory were causing the home side all types of problems. Elis gathered a long kick out of defence passing on to Frazer, a weak chase gave him space to counter, finally feeding Liam who brushed his winger away scoring in the corner. Giving away some easy penalties Ammanford were forced back into the corner from where Tata scored from a driving lineout.

Ammanford’s back threes speed was a great asset, another fine counter from deep should have ended up in a try but the final pass to Liam went astray. They got their third try when from a 10m scrum some nice work by scrum half Alex Davies put Liam in for his second try of the day. Ammanford pressed hard helped by good clean ball from both scrum and line out. Strong carries by Marco Dallavalle and smart jackaling by flanker Ieuan Phillips. Ammanford dominated the final 10min of the half but failed to add any points. Half time 10 – 17.

The second half started well Ammanford produced their crispest passing move of the game, Tata Steel could not get near the ball when the ball reached Frazer the gap was there for him to go through from which he fed Liam who rounded under the posts for his second. A similar passing phase created another hole for Frazer to go through but white line fever ment the pass was not implemented and a try blown.

Ammanford’s approach of running any type of ball almost came undone when two wayward passes forced Frazer to run backwards to gather but his fast feet evaded the chasers and shot down the line, stepped the last man to score. The lead was now 10-31 the coaches made some changes. One of which was a welcome back to prop Rhodri Jones who broke a thumb in a preseason friendly.

The travelling supporters were talking about a 50 point win. However, the last 20 minutes belonged to Tata thanks to poor tackling, decision making and a yellow card allowing the home side to score three unanswered tries and glad to hear the final whistle.

 Final score: Tata Steel 27 – 31 Ammanford.