A Lewis Reed brace ensured Ammanford came away with a draw in the first Carmarthenshire derby of the season against Carmarthen Town.

Having trailed 2-0  early in proceedings thanks to goals from Noah Daley and Greg Walters, Ammanford mounted a memorable comeback with top scorer Reed scoring either side of the half time break to earn a point in an entertaining affair.

It was a disastrous start for the home side as they trailed in under half a minute of the first whistle. After Euros Griffiths did well to clear an initial shot off the line, Noah Daley lashed the ball far beyond the grasp of Luke Martin to give the Old Gold the early advantage

Reed went close with a shot that looped onto the roof of the net before Carmarthen grabbed their second after twenty four minutes. A corner from the left was powered home by the head of visiting captain Greg Walters to double the advantage.

After a couple of speculative efforts from Liam Samuel failed to trouble Lee Idzi in the opposition goal, Ammanford did find a way back into the game just before the halftime whistle. The ball fell kindly to Reed inside the area who continued his good form in front of goal by poking the ball to the keeper's left to half the arrears.

Just after the hour mark, the hosts were level. Tristan Jenkins sprayed the ball to the right wing to Adam John. The ex-Hakin man delivered a beautiful cross onto the head of Reed who guided the ball home to bag his second of the evening.

Martin in the Ammanford goal produced a stunning stop after a defensive lapse allowed Daley to break free. The Player of the Month nominee rifled a powerful effort towards goal, which the ex-Llanelli stopper kept out superbly.

After showing tremendous character to recover from a disappointing start, Ammanford sensed the chance to gain all three points. Matthew Fisher hit the inside of the post with a strike from just outside the area before John went close twice. For the Old Gold, Walters’ curled effort was comfortably stopped by Martin.

An end to end finale saw chances for both sides to win the game in stoppage time. Martin produced a great save from a dangerous freekick on the edge of the area before Mark Jones couldn’t direct his header towards goal against his former club.