WRU National Plate

Ystradgynlais – 17

Ammanford – 52

AMMANFORD picked up an impressive win as they travelled to Ystradgynlais for their first-round tie in the National Plate.

The visitors ran in seven tries in a scintillating display of rugby to progress to the second round.

The game started at a good tempo with both sides trying to run the ball out from all positions on the field.

But it was quick turnover ball that created the first opening.

Centre, Paul Davies, won the ball back for Ammanford on the halfway line and a slick offload at the end of his break found second row Chris Grovett, who in turn had scrum half Alex Davies on his shoulder.

Davies picked up the offload to go over for the first of his two tries of the match and put Ammanford 7-0 to the good.

Ystradgynlais hit back with an unconverted try, before a penalty from fly half Steff Roberts extended Ammanford’s lead back out to five points.

The visitors started to get into their stride, and after wing Steff Howells stepped in off his wing, he was able to find Davies for his second try. Roberts added another conversion as he progressed towards a perfect day off the tee.

Ammanford blew a couple of good chances to extend their lead as half time approached, and those errors were compounded by a yellow card.

The hosts took full advantage of their numerical advantage, running in another unconverted try.

That was the final score of a tightly contested first half, and as the second half began, Ammanford proved to be too strong for their opponents.

Loosehead prop, Carwyn Phillips scored the first try of the second period almost immediately, benefitting from a well timed pass from Mike Rees.

Paul Davies then went over, after blowing a couple of clear chances, to take the score to 31-10.

Hooker, Zac Phillips again burst out of his own half and after some flowing passes the try was finished by the hard working Grovett.

This was soon followed by a penalty try from a driving scrum, before the final Ammanford score was added by Ceri Rees, who collected his own kick to touch down.

Roberts finished with a 100 per cent kicking record as his side put up 52 points.

Ystradgynlais kept pushing until the final moments, despite the game being lost, and were rewarded with the final score of the game; a converted try to take the score to 52-17.

Ammanford return to league duties next week with the visit of Tondu and will be looking to get their first league win of the season.