National League Division 3A West Central

Cwmgors – 21

Abercrave – 29

CWMGORS suffered defeat in an entertaining encounter against Abercrave, missing out on a losing bonus point with the final kick of the game.

Following a confident victory over Penlan last week, Cwm were looking forward to their first home game of the season, but quickly found themselves trailing.

An early penalty gave Abercrave a three-point lead, but the hosts responded in style, playing the ball out to Kieran Owen on the half way line.

The wing showed his pace to show the defence a clean pair of heels and race over in the corner.

The conversion was missed however, and a second Abercrave penalty from the restart regained their lead.

In a back and forth first half, the two sides exchanged penalties, and Abercrave went in to the break 9-8.

The visitors extended their lead with an early penalty in the second-half.

Soon after, Abercrave had their first try of the game, making the most of poor Cwmgors defending to cross under the posts.

A Paul Davies penalty reduced the arrears for Cwmgors, but a second Abercrave try, this time unconverted, soon followed, and Cwm found themselves trailing 24-11.

They hit back after good driving work by the Cwmgors forwards finally paid off when Cerith Dennard crossed over for an unconverted try.

Trailing 24-16, the Cherries were trying to spread the ball. However, this gave Abercrave an opportunity for an interception.

The score was run in, but good cover defence forced it out wide, and as a result the conversion was missed.

For the remainder of the game Cwmgors were on top, pressing to get back into the match.

Despite crossing the line several times they failed to ground the ball until the final moment when Aled Williams finally scored.

The conversion would have given Cwmgors a losing bonus point, but the two touch judges failed to agree whether the kick was over or not, and the referee sided with the one who said it had not, denying Cwm the bonus point in a 29-21 defeat.