CWMAMMAN United advanced to the third round of the Welsh League Cup thanks to a comfortable two goal victory over Newport City at Grenig Park.

Two second half goals from strikers Christian Allen and Ashley Curtis were enough to seal the win and ensure their progress.

Though in truth the result never really looked in doubt, as Cwmamman dominated the game against their Welsh League Division 3 opponents, who had won just one of five games in the division two tiers below their own.

Within the first five minutes of this game, Cwm had the chance to go ahead, but Curtis fired his shot just wide of the Newport goal.

Further half chances followed, but as the game progressed Newport began to hold them at arm’s length more, with some well-timed tackles and good defensive shape limiting openings.

The visitors were dealt a major blow after 15 minutes, when the Newport City central defender Andrew Muscat had to leave the field with a nasty facial injury and was unable to continue.

The game continued with neither side able to assert themselves and it proved to be a stalemate at the half time break.

Just six minutes into the second half, the deadlock was broken.

A cross reached Allen at the back post, and the Cwm striker was able to steer his effort past the goalkeeper and into the net for the first goal of the game.

The goal eased the tensions of the home crowd and the Cwm players. Cwmamman were now able to manage the game at their own pace.

With nine minutes left to play, Newport City’s Patrick Pope was shown a second yellow card and given his marching orders, leaving the visitors to see out the rest of the game with ten men.

Five minutes later Cwm striker Ashley Curtis finally got the goal he’d been toiling for from the start of the game to wrap up the win.

Newport City did create a few chances towards the end of the game but were unable to convert one of them leaving the home team to celebrate the 2-0 victory at the final whistle.

On Saturday, Cwmamman host Ammanford in the first Amman Valley derby to be played in Welsh League Division One.

The game at Grenig Park will kick off at 2.30pm.