Nathanial MG Cup

Trefelin BGC 2 Ammanford 2

(Ammanford win 2-4 on penalties)

Experience and youth both played their roles in Ammanford AFC’s progression through to the third round of the Nathanial MG Cup at the expense of Trefelin BGC in an enthralling cup tie at Ynys Park.

44-year-old assistant manager Wyn Thomas, the man with the record for the most Cymru Premier appearances, came off the bench to grab a 96th minute equaliser for Town before 16 year old substitute goalkeeper Leo Jones, making his debut in the club’s first team, saved two spot kicks from the resulting shootout to secure passage into the draw for the next round.

A much-changed Ammanford side began the game well with Tristan Jenkins curling a shot narrowly over the bar and Craig Davies going one on one but dragging his shot wide.

Meanwhile at the other end, keeper Josh Hutchings on debut had to be alert to prevent the hosts taking the lead, although from the clearance he was nearly a goal scoring hero himself as his long ball was caught up in the wind and very nearly dipped under the opposition crossbar.

Ammanford continued to pressure the visitors' goal through efforts from another debutant Mark Jones alongside other strikes from Davies, Liam Samuel and Jenkins.

But disaster struck for Ammanford with the half nearing the close. Morgan Clarke and Cory Woods tangled near the edge of the penalty area. Referee Thomas Bevan deemed both parties at fault and booked the respective players.

But having already been cautioned earlier in the period, Clarke was dismissed from the field leaving Ammanford a man light for the remainder of the game.

Any thoughts of self-pity were clearly not evident in Gruff Harrison’s side as they took the lead with a minute to go until the half-time break.

Mark Jones, returning to his former club, rifled a shot from 30 yards out into the bottom corner to give the Black and White’s the lead heading into the interval.

With ten men and forty-five minutes to play, Ammanford spent the second period having to defend resolutely. Their task was made even more difficult with Hutchings sustaining an injury and youngster Leo Jones having to take the field in his place.

Trefelin were attacking well and half way through the second stanza, they got their deserved reward when youngster Roan Piper slotted the ball home to level the scores.

Further trouble engulfed Ammanford with just twelve minutes left to play. The ball struck Osian Dillon’s arm on the edge of the area.

Despite the protests from the visitors about his arms being by his side, referee Bevan pointed to the spot and Piper slotted home his second of the afternoon.

With Ammanford looking like they were heading for a cup exit, a Samuel freekick was knocked down in the penalty area into the path of substitute Wyn Thomas who stabbed the ball home, sending the Black and White army into raptures and meaning that both sides needed spot kicks to determine the outcome.

From the spot, successful conversions from Wyn Thomas, Jay Thomas, Lewis Reed and Harry Huddart set up Leo Jones to be the hero and the youngster took complete advantage.

He saved superbly from Jack Bevan and Ceri Williams to ensure Ammanford will be in the hat for the third round of the cup.