Ammanford Youth 3 Trefelin Youth 1

AMMANFORD Youth continued to impress with another win – this time coming out on top as 3-1 victors against visiting Trefelin Youth with an electric second half display.

The scene was set at the recreation ground with support of a crowd of over 100 people.

The first half was a tight scrappy affair, played as a real tussle and the ingredients of a typical cup game.

Ammanford had chances in the first 10 minutes but a clear chance from the visitors was kept put by a cracking save by keeper and man of the match Ethan Morgan.

Trefelin looked to dominate the latter of the first half but were stopped in their tracks by the superb defence of wing backs Rhydian Davies and Jamie Owens, backed up with the solid centre halves of Celt Williams and the other man of the match Param Bansi.

However, it was a clumsy challenge from another attack that saw the referee blow for a penalty kick just before the break, which left the home side down a goal going into the half-time interval.

The second half saw the hosts change formation and positions and introduced Jac Chapman and Gwilym Smith to freshen up the side.

It was like a flick of the switch and the hosts now started to play football as they can. Midfield duo of skipper Callum Thomas and Osian Davies marshalled the middle and wing men Nico Sofiu and Cian Williams run ragged the visiting defence.

After a poor first half it was Nico who had now put on his magic shoes, dazzling the defence only to be taken down for a penalty which he stood up and tucked away.

Straight on the attack again were Lewis Trotman and Cai Rees, who were a real thorn to the visiting defence, forcing them into mistakes.

It wasn’t long before Ammanford were threatening again and it came from a strike from Nico that saw it whiz off the defender for an own goal , giving the then a 2-1 lead with 20 minutes left.

The home side now looked comfortable and well in control when a long ball caught them napping and saw the visiting striker on a one-on-one with keeper Morgan, who pulled out a top draw save to keep the home side in front.

Ammanford kept control and it was an opportunist piece of skill from Jamie Owens saw him turn and thread the ball through for sprinter Trotman, who smashed it at the keeper and into the net.

At 3-1 Ammanford managed to see the game out to come through as well deserved victors, and they now march on into the next round of the Welsh Cup competition.