A STUDENT and a hairdresser went armed with a metal bar and a knuckleduster to a man’s workplace after a dispute over money.

Kye Day and Ehab Atiya were due to stand trial at Swansea Crown Court facing a series of charges including kidnapping, blackmail, affray and possession of offensive weapons – all of which they denied.

But on the day of trial, they both admitted affray and possessing an offensive weapon, whilst Day also pleaded guilty to damaging property. These pleas were deemed acceptable by the prosecution.

  • For the latest crime and court news for west Wales, you can join our Facebook group here.

Alex Orndal, prosecuting, said that Day appeared at the victim’s workplace on Heol Ddu in Tycroes as he was closing up, whilst Atiya was there as “back up”.

The court heard there had been a financial dispute between Day and the victim over the payment for a motorbike.

Mr Orndal said Day “went after” the victim, who managed to get in to his Vauxhall Corsa. Day then smashed the passenger window with a metal bar.

The three men then went together towards Day’s vehicle, but the victim’s girlfriend showed up and called the police.

The defendants were stopped by police on Gwilym Road in Rhosamman. When they were searched, Atiya was found to have a knuckleduster hidden in his underwear.

Day gave a prepared statement in interview denying the offences, while Atiya answered no comment.

21-year-old Day, of no fixed abode, has no previous convictions, whilst Atiya, 22, of Crumlin Drive in Trowbridge, has one previous conviction from 2019 for possession of a knife.

Matthew Murphy, for Day, said: “The strongest mitigation on behalf of Mr Day is his age and his previous clean character.

“He was a very studious young man studying economics at Swansea University. He solely concentrated on his studies growing up. He was the first in his family to go to university. He was due to graduate this summer.

“It’s a dispute. There’s clearly a difference of opinion as to how much money was owed.”

Grahame James, for Atiya, described his client as an “unremarkable young man” and had no issues with drugs or alcohol.

“He was working as a hairdresser in Cardiff when his friend told him he needed to help him out with a problem,” he said.

“He took the knuckleduster with him because he thought there might be trouble. Thank goodness he didn’t produce it.”

Addressing the pair, Judge Huw Rees said: “Despite your level of education, you went about things in the most stupid way.”

He sentenced Day to a total of seven months and Atiya for a total of six months.

The defendants have been in custody since January and have served the equivalent of almost an eight-month sentence, so will both now be released on licence.