THE DRIVER of a car involved in a crash with a lorry on the M4 has died, police have confirmed. 

Emergency services were called to the incident on the eastbound carriageway between junction 49 and 48 at around 11.20pm last night (Monday).

When they arrived, they found a car and a lorry had crashed, and both vehicles were on fire.

The ambulance service attended – including a Hazardous Area Response Team – attended, along with firefighters from Pontarddulais and Tumble.

The vehicle fires were extinguished and the fire crews left the scene around two hours later.

The motorway was closed for around 16 hours as investigation works were carried out.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that the driver of the car died at the scene. 

"A car collided with a stationary lorry on the M4 eastbound at junction 48 Hendy, resulting in both vehicles catching fire," the force spokesperson said.

"Sadly the driver of the car died at the scene. Next of kin has been advised and is being supported by specialist officers.”

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called yesterday (March 18), at approximately 11.29pm, to reports of a multi-vehicle road traffic collision on the eastbound side of the M4 motorway near Hendy.

“We sent two Cymru High Acuity Response Units, one operations manager, one emergency ambulance and a Hazardous Area Response Team to the scene.”

A fire service spokesperson said: “At 11.21pm on Monday, March 18, the Pontarddulais and Tumble crews were called to an incident along the M4 eastbound at junction 48.

“Crews responded to a road traffic collision involving one private motor vehicle and one light goods vehicle. 

“Both vehicles were well alight on crews’ arrival and crews utilised one breathing apparatus set and two hose reel jets to extinguish the fires. Crews also utilised scene lighting and absorbent granules.

“Crews left the scene at 1.19am on Tuesday, March 19.” 

The motorway re-opened shortly after 3pm on Tuesday, March 19.