A CARMARTHENSHIRE man repeatedly punched a woman and dragged her by her hair before trying to flush her head down the toilet after she asked whether he’d been drinking.

Alan Griffiths appeared at Swansea Crown Court after admitting a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Mr Walters, prosecuting, said that Griffiths was “slurring his words” and “not acting as he normally did” on September 7 last year.

“He denied he had been drinking and stated he was just unwell,” Mr Griffiths said, before adding that defendant went upstairs and fell asleep at about 5pm.

  • For the latest crime and court news for West Wales, you can join our Facebook group here.

At about 8.40pm, the defendant came back downstairs, and the victim asked him again if he’d been drinking.

He pulled her off the sofa by her feet and repeatedly punched her to the ribs, side and face while standing over her.

The defendant then grabbed her hair and dragged her before pinning her against a wall.

Mr Walters said Griffiths starting shouting that he “f****** hated [her]” and that something – although it was not clear what – was “all her fault”.

Griffiths then walked away, leaving the victim crying on the floor. However, he then returned and grabbed the victim by her hair, dragged her and attempted to push her head down the toilet.

The victim “thought he was going to drown her”, the prosecutor told the court. 

Griffiths then went in to another room, and the victim was able to call the police.

“When police attended, the defendant lied to them and said the address they were looking for was next door,” Mr Walters said.

However, the officers soon returned after confirming this wasn’t true.

In interview, he denied the offences, claiming that he had been punched by the victim, who he said was “hysterical”. However, he later pleaded guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The court heard that Griffiths, 45, from Capel Isaac, had four previous convictions for 10 offences.

Freddie Lewendon, in mitigation, said that Griffiths had no previous convictions for violence and had not been to prison before.

“It’s been a shock to the system for Mr Griffiths since his remand in custody,” he said.

“He is ashamed of his actions and wishes for me to express his remorse and apologise to the complainant.”

Mr Lewendon continued: “During his time in custody, he has taken steps to address some of the issues identified,” adding that Griffiths had completed an anger management course.

The judge, Recorder Aidan Eardley KC, sentenced Griffiths to 17 months, suspended for 18 months. He must also complete the Building Better Relationships programme, as well as 10 rehabilitation activity requirement days.