A MAN fractured his partner’s eye socket after she phoned 111 asking for advice to help him with a health issue he was suffering from.

Gareth Jeffreys was in a relationship with the victim since June 2023. He reported to her that he was experiencing a health issue, but when she told him to go to the hospital for a check-up, he refused.

Jeffreys continued to refuse to get the issue checked, so at just after midnight on January 4, his partner called 111 to ask for advice.

“When the defendant heard she was on the phone for advice, he went – she described – berserk,” said prosecutor Sian Cutter.

“She was concerned about his health and was just wanting help or advice.

“He said he didn’t want the police or ambulance at the home.”

  • For the latest crime and court news for West Wales, you can join our Facebook group here.

The court heard Jeffreys “lashed out”, grabbing her phone and ending the call, before arguing with the victim. He then punched her in the face two to three times.

She said “What have you done?” and said she couldn’t open her eye. He responded with “f*** it” and said he was going to kill himself. He then left the address.

The police later found Jeffreys nearby with injuries from suspected self-harm, and he was taken to Morriston Hospital.

The victim was also taken to hospital, and it was found she had suffered a fractured eye socket.

Jeffreys, of Ynys Y Gwial in Cwmgiedd, Ystradgynlais, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Matthew Comer, defending, described 59-year-old Jeffreys as “a hard-working, quiet man” and said he had only been in trouble with the law once before – for driving with excess alcohol in 2020.

“Over the past three or four years, something has gone seriously wrong in Mr Jeffreys’ life,” said Mr Comer.

He said the defendant suffered a family bereavement in 2020, which had led to him misusing alcohol.

“The alcohol use exacerbated any underlying mental health issues he had,” Mr Comer said.

The judge, Recorder C. Rees KC, jailed Jeffreys for 14 months.