FOOTAGE has been released of a drunk mechanic who sped off from police and led them on a 13-minute chase.

Robert Newell, 66, of Capel Seion Road in Pontyberem, was handed a one year sentence, suspended for a year, after admitting dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol, and assault on an emergency worker.

Dyfed-Powys Police were called by a member of the public who saw Newell getting out of his car and stumbling and carrying alcohol at the Mynydd Mawr Woodland Centre on June 16 last year.

Officers arrived at the scene at around 9pm, and when Newell returned to his car, they pulled out to block his exit.

One of the officers reported smelling alcohol on the defendant and asked him three times to switch his engine off.

As his partner reached inside the open window to take the keys out of the ignition, Newell shouted “No” and sped off.

The car hit the officer’s elbow and arm, and he injured his calf attempting to keep his balance as he was dragged along by the car.

Newell led officers on a 13-minute chase along narrow country roads, at one point braking hard at a junction, losing control and heading straight in to a hedge. As the officers readied themselves to jump out the car, Newell reversed and drove off once more.

He was recorded on the police dashcam footage driving at speed down the narrow lanes and overtaking other vehicles while speeding.

He was described by officers as having “showed no regard for the other vehicles on the road”.

The chase ended when the defendant drove in to a residential estate and pulled on to a driveway.

  • For the latest crime and court news for West Wales, you can join our Facebook group here.

He was arrested, and when breathalysed he recorded having 110 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

Upon his arrest, he told officers: “I know I was over the limit, I don’t deny that. I know the limit is 35.”

In his interview, he apologised for his behaviour, and said he had “panicked” and “did not intend to hurt the officer”.

Caitlin Brazel, in mitigation, said: “On the day of this offence his relationship of 21 years came to an end.

“It was his devastation and heartbreak at the end of this relationship which led to him using alcohol as a coping mechanism.

“His actions came out of a state of complete and utter panic.”

Ms Brazel said Newell – who had no previous convictions – had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity and made full admissions when arrested and in interview. Despite this, she said, it took five months for Newell to be charged, and he only appeared in the Magistrates’ Court for the first time on January 2.

The judge, Recorder B. Clarke, ordered Newell to complete 100 hours of unpaid work, a 90-day alcohol abstinence monitoring requirement, and 30 rehabilitation activity requirement days as part of his suspended sentence.

Newell was banned from driving for two years, and must pass an extended retest to regain his licence.