AN AMMANFORD man has been jailed after leaving a man with multiple jaw fractures in an unprovoked attack.

David Williams, 45, of River Way, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) following the attack in the early hours of September 10.

Hannah George, prosecuting, said there was “something of a history” between Williams and his victim, who had known each other for 10 years but hadn’t spoken in three years.

  • For the latest crime and court news for West Wales, you can join our Facebook group here.

The victim had gone out drinking with a friend in Ammanford on Saturday, September 9. After his friend left, he went to another bar before going to an address to buy cannabis in the early hours of the morning.

As he approached the address, he saw Williams in the window – who started shouting at him.

Ms George said the victim turned away, deciding that the cannabis was not worth a confrontation with Williams.

“The defendant caught him off-guard and attacked him,” she said. “The defendant came up behind [the victim] and punched him to the right cheek.”

He then repeatedly punched the victim in the face, before dragging him to the floor and kicking him repeatedly to the torso.

“The defendant ran back to the address leaving the complainant bloodied on the floor,” Ms George said.

The victim suffered “extensive bruising to his torso and swelling to his face” and loose teeth. He did not go to hospital immediately, but went the following day as “the pain became too much to bear”.

At Morriston Hospital, he was told he had suffered two factures to the jaw, one of which needed emergency surgery. He had metal plates installed and four teeth were removed.

Williams was arrested on September 11, and told police in interview that the victim was already injured when he arrived at the address. CCTV footage from shortly before the incident disproved this, as the victim was shown to have no injuries to his face and his clothing was not ripped.

The defendant also claimed the victim had pushed him and that he had acted in self-defence, but this account did not line up with the victim’s injuries.

Williams was charged with causing GBH with intent and a lesser alternative offence of inflicting GBH.

He pleaded not guilty to both charges, but then admitted inflicting GBH on the day of trial.

Hywel Davies, in mitigation, said: “The defendant became frustrated when the complainant attended late at night and drunk and tried to buy drugs.”

He said that Williams had been drug-free for almost a decade and was “frustrated” at the victim for putting the temptation of taking drugs in front of him.

He added that he accepted his actions were not proportionate.

Mr Davies said that although Williams had an unenviable record – including previous convictions for 92 offences – “very little” of those had been for violence.

The judge, Recorder B. Clarke, sentenced Williams to two years and 10 days in prison, and granted the victim a five-year restraining order against Williams.

No evidence was presented for the charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, and a not guilty verdict was given.