A SURREY man has gone on trial following a brawl at a Llandovery pub.

Jordan Pollitt, 28, of Diamedes Avenue in Stanwell, appeared in the dock at Swansea Crown Court over allegations from the evening of November 24 to 25 last year.

He had pleaded not guilty to affray and having a knife in public.

  • For the latest crime and court news for West Wales, you can join our Facebook group here.

The jury was told that Pollitt’s co-defendants – Bradley Morgan, 31, Ravensbourne Avenue in Stanwell; Joseph Scholz-Conway, 31, of Weymede in Byfleet; and John Slade, 37, of Clockhouse Lane in Ashford – had previously pleaded guilty to affray.

Prosecutor Hannah George said the group checked in to the Castle Hotel, before heading to The Whitehall at around 9pm on November 24.

Ms George said the group’s behaviour was “unruly, aggressive, and showed no care for the environment they were in”.

After they were confronted by locals and regulars in the pub about their behaviour, a brawl erupted, with Morgan and Slade the “ringleaders”, Ms George said.

Pollitt was not present when the violence began, however the prosecution allege he came in and “repeatedly punched” a man to the back of the head.

“[The man] was no threat to the defendant at all,” Ms George said.

The defence argue that Pollitt was assaulted and was acting in self-defence, and in defence of Morgan – his brother-in-law.

The police were called, and Morgan, Scholz-Conway and Slade were identified from the CCTV footage.

Officers went to the Castle Hotel in the early hours of November 25 to arrest the three men. An officer went to the car park at the rear of the building, where Pollitt was. At this stage, he had not been identified as being involved in the incident at the Whitehall.

Pollitt was found to have a Stanley knife in his coat pocket and was “aggressive, rude and provocative” towards the officer, Ms George said, and was arrested.

He said he was a ground worker and had left the knife – which he used for work – in his coat pocket.

Officers identified Pollitt as being involved in the pub brawl after he took his coat off at Brecon Police Station and his clothes matched the ones he was seen wearing on the pub’s CCTV footage.

The trial continues.