AN AMMANFORD drug-dealer has appeared in court after he turned his grandmother’s home into a cannabis farm.

Jamie Jones was growing more than 100 plants in the bungalow belonging to his gran and was also dealing in amphetamine, which he stored in the freezer of his home in Ammanford.

On June 3 last year, Jones was stopped by police officers as he pulled up on the street where he lived.

The court heard how officers could smell cannabis when approaching the vehicle.

Jones told police he had “whizz” – slang for the amphetamine drug – in the car.

Police searched the vehicle and found bags containing one gram of cannabis, two grams of cocaine, 2.5 grams of amphetamine and a pouch of mixed tobacco and cannabis.

Dean Pulling, prosecuting, said Jones told officers he had amphetamine in the freezer in his house and there would be more drugs at his workplace on Betws Industrial Estate and his grandmother’s bungalow in Talley.

Police subsequently recovered 70 grams of amphetamine from the freezer and 300 grams of cannabis from a desk drawer in the industrial unit, and found a "sophisticated" cannabis plantation in the bungalow with 114 plants at various stages of maturity along with growing lights and a timer-controlled feeding system.

The value of the amphetamine seized was around £720 while the cannabis was worth around £3,300. The estimated potential yield from the Talley cannabis farm was up to £57,000.

Jones, 34, of Myddynfych, Ammanford, pleaded guilty to producing cannabis, possession of cannabis and amphetamine with intent to supply, and possession of cocaine when he appeared in the dock for sentencing.

He has no previous convictions.

Dyfed Thomas, for Jones, said the defendant had expressed a "considerable degree of remorse" for his actions.

Judge Christopher Vosper QC told Jones he had been caught with significant quantities of drugs.

He said had this not been the defendant's first conviction, and were he not caring for his young daughter, a custodial sentence in the case would have been inevitable - but he was prepared to suspend the sentence.

Jones was sentenced to 16 months suspended for two years, and was ordered to complete a drugs programme, a rehabilitation course, and carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.