Firefighters were called to a house fire in Pontarddulais earlier this week.

Crews from Pontarddulais, Llanelli and Gorseinon attended a property fire in Maes yr Ysgol in Pontarddulais at 7.50pm on April 10.

The fire was confined to the kitchen area of a ground floor flat and was caused by cooking left unattended.

Firefighters rescued a male casualty along with a snake and a cat from the property before extinguishing the fire using four breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera. Firefighters also ventilated the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Roger Thomas, of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “I would like to commend the actions of the crews at these incidents as their quick and professional actions undoubtedly saved lives.

“The role of a firefighter and the Fire and Rescue Service has evolved significantly.

“These days, our firefighters are expected to respond to road traffic collisions, incidents of flooding, water rescues and provide medical response, all of which they do to the highest standard.

“They also remain ready to respond, at a moment’s notice, to protect their communities from incidents of fire.

“Over the past five years, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service have attended approximately 13,617 incidents at a cost of £0.14 per day to the public.

“Despite budgetary constraints, we have continued to maintain a level of service, which has ensured our communities remain safe places to live, work and visit.”