A TEENAGER took his own life after struggling with depression, a drug problem and homelessness, an inquest has heard.

Nathan Carmon, 18, was found dead at land near Betws Colliery on July 27. The discovery followed a huge search by friends and family after the teen had been missing for three weeks.

The inquest heard Nathan had sent his mother a text message on July 13 asking if he could stay the night.

His mum replied to the message, but received no further contact from her son.

A police search was launched after Nathan was reported missing on July 20.

Friends and family joined the search, handed out flyers and campaigned on social media.

Nathan’s body was found a week later on July 27.

The inquest was told Nathan was the eldest of five siblings and was born in Cheshire. The family moved to Llanelli when Nathan was just two weeks old.

He left school at 16 with 12 GCSEs and went to work for the family business in Burry Port.

During his late teens, Nathan developed a drug problem and began taking new psycho-active substances, also known as ‘legal highs’, and cannabis.

Coroner’s Officer Malcolm Thompson told the inquest that after experimenting with drugs, Nathan lost interest in everything.

He became disruptive in the house and his behaviour began affecting his younger siblings.

It was at this time that he moved into lodgings in Ammanford and found work.

“He had a lengthy relationship with a local young lady with ended because of his drug problem,” said Mr Thompson.

“He lead an erratic lifestyle and started sleeping rough in Ammanford.

“Nathan became depressed and sought help from a GP.

“He was referred for help but unfortunately never attended.”

At the inquest into his death last Friday, coroner Mark Leyton recorded a conclusion of suicide.

Mr Leyton said there was no suggestion of foul play or any third party involvement.

“Nathan suffered with depression before his death and as a result took deliberate steps to end his life.

“My conclusion is death by suicide.”