Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is once again warning of the dangers of E-cigarette chargers after it has emerged that one was the cause of a house fire in Llandybie.

At 11.51pm on Friday night one fire crew from Ammanford attended the property on Ammanford Road after an e-cigarette charger overheated and set fire to the curtains.

The fire was out before the arrival of the firefighters. One adult male was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but did not require hospital treatment.

Steve Davies, Deputy Head of Community Safety advises the public: “We are seeing heightened numbers of house fires caused by e-cigarettes, and we would urge you to always charge them on a non-flammable surface away from other flammable materials, not to charge them over long periods or leave unattended.”

“Although this was a minor incident, based on previous cases the consequences can be devastating”.

“Please make sure you purchase e-cigarettes from a reputable source and ensure you only use the charger supplied with your kit. Never mix and match components from different e-cigarette manufacturers. It’s also a good idea to keep an eye on the Electronic Cigarette Trade Industry Association's website for the industry's response to increasing medical and health regulations.”

“If you have any doubts about the safety of e-cigarettes being sold locally, you should contact Trading Standards and always make sure you have a working smoke alarm in the event something does go wrong. Please feel free to contact us on 0800 169 1234 for free home safety advice, or any other issues relating to home safety checks”.