Lewis Reed’s hattrick secured Ammanford’s first victory since September in a classic of a game against high-flying Cwmbran Celtic.

Having been pegged back twice before the break, Cwmbran took the lead with half an hour to go. But in a similar manner to many games this season, the Black and Whites left it late and earned victory thanks to late goals from Tristan Jenkins and Reed to open up a five-point gap to 6th place in the league.

After over a month without a home fixture, Ammanford returned to home comforts in the best possible manner and were ahead after just three minutes. Jenkins charged forward before feeding in Ellis Williams. The fullback saw his effort from a tight angle strike the inside of the post. Thankfully, the rebound fell kindly to Reed who lashed the ball high into the roof of the net for his first of the evening.

Jenkins went close from a freekick hitting the outside of the post before Ammanford lost their slender advantage. After failing to clear the attacking danger, Lewis Iles slotted home from close range for the visitors to restore parity.

The equaliser bolstered Celtic and they were controlling the attacking play. They were creating half chances but nothing that seriously threatened Luke Martin’s goal.

Somewhat against the run of play, Ammanford went back in front on the half hour. Adam John and Callum Thomas combined brilliantly down the right flank before teeing up Reed for his second of the night despite Iwan Hooper getting a strong hand to the goal bound effort.

Jenkins came within a whisker of giving the hosts a two-goal cushion but fired narrowly over the bar after being played in cleverly by John inside the area.

Ammanford were made to pay for wasting that glorious opportunity as Celtic were level at the interval. Alex Bonthron showed great feet on the edge of the area to turn his man before rifling home an unstoppable strike.

The away side got their noses in front after the hour from the spot. Luke Harris was adjudged to have brought down the opposition forward inside the penalty area. Top scorer Bonthron sent Martin the wrong way for his second of the night and to give the Yellows the lead for the first time in the contest.

With the weather getting progressively worse, both sides were struggling to keep possession and create clear chances as the second period wore on. It took a quarter of an hour after the spot kick for a clear sight of goal for either side as Reed went within inches of grabbing hattrick and a third leveller. However, his header from Jenkins’ delicious cross was inches wide of the post.

The chance galvanised the 135 strong home crowd and they sensed that there was a route back into the game for the home side and they were to be proved right with seven to play. After missing a couple of chances earlier in the game, Jenkins’ shot from distance found the back of the net to level the scores to restart Ammanford’s road to victory.

With three to go, Gruff Harrison’s men completed the turnaround. John did brilliantly to set up Reed inside the area who made no mistake, bagging his 11th goal in the JD Cymru South to round off a famous comeback for Ammanford.

Final score: Ammanford 4 - 3 Cwmbran Celtic.