Amman United's quest for a first league win of the season looked to have succeeded midway through the second half, when they had led 18-6 after scoring three tries to the visitors' none in a real battle in the mud at Cwmamman Park.

But their tendency to keep giving away penalties in kickable positions was to cost them dearly, particularly in injury time when outside half Rhodri Lewis punished them with the last kick of the game, Bont's seventh penalty success, to rescue victory from the jaws of defeat. With that, the Abergavenny referee blew for time, to delirious celebrating from the visitors.

Torrential rain showers on and off, plus a significant wind meant conditions were a real slog, and the match turned into a forward battle. The away front row of Ethan Walters, Dan Sauro and Luke Lewis provided a solid platform for their side in the first half, which they edged on territory and possession, number eight Gareth Davies also with some excellent work in both attack and defence. Amman meanwhile had a solid back row starting, Dan Jones, Alun Lewis and Sean Mangan bringing the old band back together.

With the wind at their backs, Bont took an early 6-0 lead inside 12 minutes with a brace of Rhodri Lewis penalties. His opposite number, Iestyn Griffiths got his side onto the scoreboard with a penalty as Amman began to get a foothold, and United, who looked dangerous when on the attack, then scored a great try, Joel Foster's break and Rhydian Jones' excellent play putting backrow man Alun Lewis over for a corner score. There was a yellow card each and also a missed penalty each just before half time, Amman leading 8-6 at the interval.

A third Lewis penalty regained the lead for Pontyberem, but Amman reacted postively, disrupting a Bont scrum before scrum half Lee Evans gathered to snipe over in the left corner for the try.

United were now playing some really good stuff despite the worsening conditions and some biblical rainstorms battering the teams and spectators, and the Reds broke the dam once again, from Lee Evans' initial break, Foster and Rhys Howells sucked in the defence, before the ball was switched to the other flank, left wing Jac Evans was just held up on the line but Alun Lewis followed up to cross for his second. Amman led 18-6 with a quarter of the game left, but crucially, they hadn't converted any of their trio of tries.

Pontyberem continued to press, and Amman unfortunately continued to concede penalties. Rhys Lewis missed the target twice but made it third time lucky to punish their indiscipline. The home side didn't learn their lesson, and after Bont had kicked another to reduce the arrears to 18-15, Amman were then dealt a blow with the loss of influential back row man Sean Mangan to a yellow card, and Lewis punished the fourteen men further to level the scores.

The final minutes were largely played out in the United half, and a draw looked on the cards, but Amman's achilles heel flared up again, they conceded an injury time penalty, and Lewis made no mistake.

Amman will be kicking themselves, having outscored their opponents by three tries to none, but must curb their tendency to give away cheap penalties within range. They will hope to break their duck away at St. Clears in another tough assignment on Saturday.

Final score: Amman United 18 – 21 Pontyberem.