The Magpies faced a tricky away trip on Saturday afternoon as they travelled to fifth placed Betws RFC who were one place below them in the league.

Betws, buoyed by the defeat of league leaders Trimsaran the week previous, started strongly and attacked Tumble causing a stern test for the defence.

Early play in the visitors half was stemmed by some strong defensive tackling of Ifan Samuel and fellow prop Kieran Richards.

Betws pressed but couldn’t penetrate into the Magpies twenty two with a well organised defence marshalled by centre Owain Williams. Tumble, when they did get ball managed some incursions into opposition territory and runs by Nicky Allinson and full back Scott Jones showed promise.

With twenty minutes gone, the stalemate was broken when, with Betws attacking just outside the Magpies twenty two, a speculative pass from Betws was intercepted by wing Aled Price.

Price outpaced the cover defence to run the length of the field for a try under the posts. Steve Hewitt added the conversion.

Flanker Tom Miles worked tirelessly and stepped several attacks with his resolute tackling, Co-flanker Darren Williams managed two turn overs and with Tumble gaining ground in Betws twenty two, a score seemed imminent.

A charge by Gareth Beynon sucked in the defensive cover, and, when the ball was recycled, the astute Steve Hewitt’s cross field kick was dribbled by wing Price who crossed for his second score. The conversion added the extras and the Magpies had a healthy half time lead.

Just on the hour mark, a defensive mistake by the Magpies in their twenty two saw Betws rumble over for a try wide out which went unconverted.

With Iwan Morgan probing on the fringes, the Magpies looked comfortable with ten minutes remaining.

Five minutes remained when Tumble got their third try when No. 8 Nathan Willard carried three men over the line for the score which Hewitt again converted.

Tumble pressed for a fourth try for the bonus point and Carter went close as did the leggy Matthew Samuel. Pressing in Betws’ twenty two they spun the ball wide only for it to be lost and centre Aaron Evans hared away to score a converted try.

Betws now sensed a losing bonus point with another score but it was not to be when, centre Steffan Price finished off a neat passage of play and Hewitt banged over the conversion.

Two plays later the whistle went for no score and Tumble had recorded another with as well as an important bonus point.