Welsh League Division One

Ammanford - 0

Briton Ferry Llansawel - 1

AMMANFORD slipped to their third defeat in four league games as they were beaten by mid table rivals Briton Ferry Llansawel on Friday night.

Another healthy attendance descended on Ammanford’s Recreation Ground to watch the game under the floodlights, taking the total for the club’s last three home games well over the 700 mark.

There was a confidence among the Ammanford ranks, heading into the game off the back of what captain Rhys Fisher described as “our best team performance of the season” - a 2-0 victory over title challenging Haverfordwest County at home.

However, in contrast to the last few games at The Rec, the match proved to be a tight affair, as both sides produced a stalemate in the first half, with neither goalkeeper being called into any serious action.

It wasn’t until late on in the opening period that Ammanford produced a real opening.

Richard Lewis picked up the ball and weaved past a number of defenders before unleashing an effort that flew just wide of the goal.

Craig Frater went close a few moments later, but his effort was deflected narrowly over the crossbar, and both sides went into the break with score even at 0-0.

The breakthrough came just after the hour mark.

Both sides went hunting for the opening goal at the start of the second half, but fifteen minutes after the restart, Briton Ferry grabbed it.

A counter attack down the right flank saw Stephen Davey break away at pace, he fired in a low driven cross which took a wicked deflection off the unfortunate Ammanford centre back, Nic Arnold, as he attempted to clear his lines.

The ricochet sent the ball veering into the Ammanford goal and handed Briton Ferry Llansawel the lead.

Minutes later, the visitors nearly doubled their advantage when again Stephen Davey raced away and put in a pin point cross which was met by striker Gareth Jones who saw his headed attempt sail over the bar.

The visitors were beginning to take control of the game and Davey was the dangerous outlet for their attacking play.

Ammanford manager Gruff Harrison reacted and used all his three substitutes in an attempt to get back into the game.

The gamble almost paid off when Mathew Fisher unleashed an effort from the edge of the box.

His curling effort looked to be beating Conah McFenton in the Briton Ferry goal, but it was blocked by a visiting defender and rebounded to safety, summing up an evening of frustration for the home side.

The Briton Ferry Llansawel defence well marshalled by Rob Thomas held firm and it was the visitors who celebrated at the final whistle.

Defeat leaves Ammanford in eighth place, one point clear of ninth.