National League 1 West Central

Ammanford – 46

Tondu – 20

AMMANFORD RFC picked up their first league win of the season as they ran in seven tries in an impressive display against Tondu.

There was no doubt about the stand out player for the hosts as Steffan Howells claimed four of the six tries, with Chris Morris touching down and Ceri Rees grabbing a brace in support.

The game started in familiar fashion to Ammanford’s other contests this season, as they had plenty of the ball and a lot of the territory, but for long periods were unable to convert that in to points.

Tondu rarely managed to cross halfway when they held the ball in the opening quarter, but when they did they kept the scoreboard ticking over with penalties, and after 20 minutes it was the visitors who led 6-3.

It took captain Chris Morris to get the ball rolling for Ammanford, with a crashing break and a 22-metre gallop to the line for a try. Fly half Steff Roberts added the conversion to take the hosts into a 10-6 lead.

Ammanford were soon back on the attack, and a lovely move was rounded off by Howells who stepped inside the defence for his first try, with Roberts again converting the extras.

Tondu came back into the game and pushed in attack. Under pressure, Ammanford kicked long to clear, and were the beneficiaries of some good fortune.

The ball took a terrible bounce and, luckily for Ammanford, fell into the open arms of full back Ceri Rees, who had chased the kick hard.

Rees had no one between him and line, running in from halfway.

Heading into the second half, Ammanford were up 22-6, but suffered from a poor start to the second half.

The hosts were shown two yellow cards in quick succession following the break, and Tondu made use of their numerical advantage to run in a converted try.

The dominant home pack stepped up to the mark to ensure no more scores came while they were down to 13, with Steffan Rees keeping things tight and running down the clock until they could get back to their full complement of 15.

Once Ammanford were back to full strength, they set about extending their lead again.

A long inside pass found Howells who set off on an arching run, played a quick one-two with centre Paul Davies who was up in support, and crossed the line for his second try of the game.

Full of confidence, Howells had his hat trick minutes later as Ammanford moved into a 36-13 lead.

Tondu came back hard, and a lovely angle from the visiting inside centre saw him go in under the posts.

However, the result never looked in doubt for Ammanford.

Rees got his second try after the home pack turned a scrum over.

Howells grabbed his, and Ammanford’s, final try in the dying moments of the game.

A crafty chip from Owen Higgins found young centre Carwyn Morris on debut, who in turn spread the ball to Howells to cross for his fourth.

The 46-20 victory was another reason for cheer at the rugby club on a weekend they managed to field three full senior teams.