Welsh League Division One

Cwmamman United – 4

Pontypridd Town – 2

FOR the second week in a row Cwmamman came from behind to claim all three points against Pontypridd Town at Grenig Park.

Trailing 1-0, goals from Ashley Curtis, Ryan Hurlow, and Chris Allen saw the hosts turn the game around and win 4-2.

It was a slow start from Cwm, who were second best for much of the first half.

Pontypridd’s direct style was causing their hosts a lot of problems at the back, but Cwm goalkeeper, Chris Curtis, was in inspired form to keep the game level.

He turned one shot around the post when most of those in attendance thought it was in, and then dived bravely at the feet of an onrushing striker to prevent him in a one on one chance.

When Curtis wasn’t there to rescue Cwm, the post did, and somehow, despite being under pressure for much of the opening period, the two sides went into half time level at 0-0.

Curtis’ clean sheet vanished early in the second half though, as the referee pointed to the spot almost immediately from the restart after a Pontypridd striker had his ankles clipped in the box.

Luke Gillick stepped up for the visitors and put his side 1-0 in front with the penalty.

Finally falling behind seemed to wake Cwm up, as they began to play a more expansive game that paid dividends.

The equaliser came on 50 minutes, with a hint of good fortune about it.

A powerful cross from Curtis evaded the goalkeeper, who was being put under severe pressure, and floated into the goal.

Ten minutes later, Cwm were 3-1 to the good.

A great ball from Ryan Hurlow found Curtis, who cut in from wide and fired a powerful shot into the bottom corner of the goal, for his and his side’s second of the game.

Hurlow created the third as well.

After a weaving run he found himself in the area and cut the ball back unselfishly for Allen to tuck home.

Ponty struck back against the run of play, again through Gillick who came up with a tidy finish, but an injection of youth from the Cwmamman bench saw them across the lines.

James Bryan, Sean Howells and Kian Evans were all introduced and helped wrestle back the ascendancy for Cwm.

The hosts victory was sealed by Hurlow, who got on the scoresheet himself after two assists, tapping in from close range to make it 4-2.

The win means Cwmamman are now unbeaten in five games and remain at the right end of the table, sat in fourth.

Next Saturday they host Briton Ferry at Grenig Park.