WRU National Bowl

Penlan – 24

Llandybie – 12

LLANDYBIE suffered defeat in the first round of the National Bowl as they travelled to Penlan for a hard-fought and ill-tempered affair.

The visitors lead twice in a back and forth game that included six yellow cards, but eventually succumbed to a 24-12 loss.

Llandybie travelled without a number of first choice players, including the entire back and second row, however they were on top in the early exchanges.

Good early back play from Llandybie yielded a penalty. Fly half Lee Davies kicked to touch with Mike Tench taking the line out ball, but the drive was pulled down.

Llandybie opted for the scrum and got a good drive. Dan Ward put the ball wide to the backs and into the possession of full back Rhydian Jones.

He committed two defenders before spreading the ball wide to wing Ben Featherstone who was tackled just short of the line.

Penlan eventually managed to clear the lines but were back under the cosh before the long.

Llandybie were running the ball at every opportunity and Penlan were soon down to 14 men after losing a win to the sin bin for handling in the ruck.

Again the visitors opted for a scrum, and it proved to be the correct decision.

Twice Penlan wheeled the scrum, and when they attempted a third time the referee had no hesitation in running to the posts to award a penalty try.

Penlan responded with some pressure from the big ball carriers in midfield, eventually forcing their way over for a converted try of their own before the break.

The visitors had had the better of the opening period, but it was all square at half time.

An early penalty in the second half gave Penlan the lead, but Llandybie, who were beginning to utilise the crosskicking prowess of fly half Lee Davies, hit back with a try.

Davies put in a fine kick for winger Josh Cranfield to catch, he duly obliged and motored down the right hand touchline to score.

A flurry of yellows followed the score.

First Ward went to the bin for Llandybie, then tryscorer Cranfield. Soon after a fight between two Penlan players saw Keenan Jones heading to the bin for the hosts.

With the numbers in Penlan’s favour, on an even more open pitch, they ran in two quick tries, both converted, to all but seal the game and move in to a 24-12 lead.

While there was no time for Llandybie to strike back on the scoreboard, there was still time for two more yellow cards.

First Tim Williams was binned for a high tackle, and then a Penlan player was sin binned for stamping on him in retaliation, though that could easily have been a red.

Next Saturday Llandybie are home to local rivals Llandeilo.