REPORTS of a seagull crashing into an electricity pylon led to a power outage at Tesco in Ammanford this week.  

As fire crews were battling a blaze on the Black Mountain on Monday, July 18, a further report of a fire broke out at the rear of the Tesco store. 

Ammanford firefighters rushed to the scene after the base of the pylon caught fire in what the Guardian understands was caused by a seagull flying into it, and caused a power outage in the store. 

Confirming their attendance at the scene, a spokesperson from Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 8.37pm on Monday, July 18, crews from Ammanford were called to an incident at Tesco, Ffordd William Walker. 

“The base of a pylon was on fire. Crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet. 

“Crews awaited arrival from Western Power before leaving the scene at 9.02pm.”


Meanwhile, Tesco has apologised for the inconvenience during Monday's power cut. 

A spokesperson from Tesco said: “Our Ammanford Superstore is now re-open after it closed briefly following a powercut.

“We are sorry for any inconvenience caused for our customers.”