A Gwendraeth Valley man who pulled out a knife during a "dramatic" episode of road rage has been jailed today for 10 months.

Keith Wesley Robinson, aged 34, was spotted by an off duty detective inspector as he tried to force his way passed a driver he thought had braked too hard while approaching a junction.

When that driver pulled off the road Robinson threatened him with a knife.

Robinson, of Gerytmawr, Carway, admitted possessing a bladed article in a public place and dangerous driving.

Carina Hughes, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court how Leroy Hutchinson had been driving towards Pontyates on the Carmarthen to Llanelli road when Robinson pulled up behind him in his Vauxhall Corsa.

He tried to overtake in the face of heavy oncoming traffic and Mr Hutchinson could hear him shouting despite the noise of passing vehicles.

Robinson got passed but then pulled off the road and Mr Hutchinson followed him to speak to him about the manner of his driving.

But he stayed in his vehicle after he saw Robinson approaching with a knife in his right hand. He told Mr Hutchinson to get out because he wanted to cut him.

Robinson drove off but a short while later could be seen at the aside of the road waiting for Mr Hutchinson to pass.

Mr Hutchinson also pulled in but this time the detective inspector intervened and told Robinson he had already reported his driving to hq.

Robinson was arrested shortly afterwards.

Judge Paul Thomas told Robinson he had put other people's lives at risk after being "wholly overcome by road rage."

"It is not difficult to imagine the fear and distress that Mr Hutchinson would have felt when you appeared at his car window telling him to get out and threatening to injure him.

"You lost all self control.

"Road rage accompanied by threats with a knife must be treated very seriously by the courts," he added.

Robinson, who had lost his job two weeks before the incidents, was also banned from driving for 22 months and must take an extended test before getting back his licence.