A knifepoint robber who targeted a female pub manager on the way to the bank with £6,000 in takings was chased by a dog-walker and then rugby tackled by a motorist.

Jordan Hancock, 26, of Halliard Court, in Cardiff, and Michael Vassello, 27, of no fixed abode, appeared for sentencing on Thursday.

Swansea Crown Court heard the pub was targeted by the two men because one of them used to work there and knew what the banking routines were.

Brian Simpson, prosecuting, said on Tuesday, May 29, the manager of the Tafarn y Phoenix pub in Gorslas, left the premises to do the banking and was carrying around £6,000 from the bank holiday takings.

As she sat in in her car outside the pub Hancock – who had his face covered by a scarf and the hood of his top pulled up – approached the vehicle.

Mr Simpson said Hancock produced a small kitchen knife and demanded the manager hand over money.

The landlady gave him the £50 in cash she had in her hand but the robber said he wanted the pub takings.

The court heard Hancock reached through the open window of the car and the manager thought he was going to stab her in the leg, but grabbed the bag of cash, and the car keys, and ran off.

The landlady screamed for help and a dog-walker, Stephen Rowan, decided to give chase down Llandeilo Road.

The court heard the fleeing man and his pursuer caught the attention of John Palmer, who was passing the scene as a passenger in a car being driven by his father.

Mr Simpson said the two men also joined the chase, driving after Hancock as he ran down Black Lion Road.

When the car caught up with Hancock Mr Palmer jumped from the car and rugby tackled him.

Police were called and Hancock was arrested. The stolen bag of cash and car keys were recovered from the scene.

The court heard detectives then began to check CCTV in the area and found footage of a car, registered to the partner of Vassello, waiting in the pub car park prior to the robbery.

Hancock admitted robbery and possession of a bladed article while Vassello admitted robbery.

The court heard Hancock and Vassello had come up with a plan using Vassello's knowledge of the pub.

On the morning of the robbery Vassello picked up his accomplice from his home in Cardiff and drove them both to Gorslas where Hancock carried out the attack.

The court heard a victim impact statement from the pub manager in which she said the ordeal had left her feeling anxious and depressed.

Barrister Hashim Salmman, for Vassello, said the victim had not suffered any physical injury in the incident and the planning of the raid had fallen short of the level of what could be considered professional.

Derrick Gooden, for Hancock, said the defendant had been in serious financial difficulties at the time and this was a "serious lapse in judgement".

Recorder Peter Griffiths QC sentenced Vassello to four and a half years in prison for robbery.

Hancock was sentenced to three years for robbery and to six months for possession of the knife to run concurrently.

Recorder Griffiths said the passers-by who had intervened should be commended for their actions.

Detective Inspector Neil Jenkins said: “We would like to thank members of the public for their response to our initial appeals for information, and for their support during the investigation.

“In particular, I would like to extend my thanks to a witness who managed to intercept the armed suspect, which led to him dropping a significant quantity of the stolen money. This kind of action shows incredible bravery and community spirit.

“Understandably, there was great concern locally in the days following this incident as offences of this kind are rare for the community of Gorslas. I hope the sentences handed to Hancock and Vassello will go some way to provide reassurance.”