An animal welfare organisation has issued a warning after three ponies were found dead in the Lower Brynaman area this week.

RSPCA Cymru is reminding owners to be vigilant and to warn gardeners about the dangers of dumping grass cuttings in fields where equines graze after receiving reports of the dead animals near the Gwaun-cae-Gurwen common over the weekend.

A Facebook post which features graphic images of the deceased animals has gone viral and has been shared by over 1,700 animal's lovers urging action to be taken by the owners.

A spokesperson for the animal welfare charity said: "RSPCA Cymru is very saddened that three ponies have tragically died in the Lower Brynaman area.

"Following a call, an inspector attended the location and sadly found three dead ponies.

"It is believed that they may have died through poisoning, potentially by grass cuttings that were thought to have been thrown over the fence.

"Grass cuttings soon start to ferment after they have been cut and if these are ingested they can cause digestive upsets in a number of ways.

"Gas caused by the fermentation can cause distention of the intestines, the alcohols and sugars produced can cause metabolic problems due to over rapid absorption of nutrients, and the bacteria developing in the cut grass can cause enteritis and diarrhoea.

"Any of these conditions would be severely distressing to the horse and could prove fatal.

"If a horse is in any way hungry it is likely to consume large quantities of cut grass with harmful results. All these conditions would be manifested by colic (severe belly ache) which is very dramatic in the horse, often causing thrashing movements of the legs.