Neath and District

Reserve Division Two Cup Final

Cwmamman United 9 Pontardawe 0

With Cwmamman having already wrapped up the league title after going unbeaten all season, they were determined not to slip up in the cup final.

Pontardawe, who finished third in the league, were the only team to have taken a point of United – in the 3-3 draw back at the beginning of October.

Having lost in two finals last season, it was a nervous start from the champions, but their quality began to show when centre half Tim Hendra smashed a superb volley against the post.

Andrew Twomey was then thwarted by the upright and Carl James saw an effort saved before Josh Jones blazed a penalty over the bar.

With so many chances going amiss, there was concern in the Cwm camp that they might be made to pay for their profligacy.

But their defence was outstanding with youngster Mike Craik enjoying his best game for the club. Hendra and Brendan Nicklin were their usual calm controlling selves while Paul Doorbar went marauding down the left flank at every opportunity.

The Cwm breakthrough arrived on 20 minutes when James smashed one into the top corner from 12 yards.

The chances kept coming for Cwmammam and James doubled the lead before the interval.

After the interval, Cwmamman took control of possession to temper any fightback and extended their advantage when Andrew Stevens’ cross came off the bar and struck the keeper before finding its way into the net.

James completed his hat-trick when he headed in Stevens cross.

Ponty were reduced to 10 men when their centre-half limped off after all their subs had been introduced and the outcome was never in doubt.

With the introduction of Robert Hodges at left back, Doorbar was given even more licence to run riot down the left wing and deservedly got on the scoresheet to make it five.

James added his fourth before Hodges added another.

Kieran Martyn replaced Carl Jones for the last quarter and Bryan James was brought on for the outstanding James.

Goals continued to flow as Doorbar added a second before Andrew Twomey rounded off the day.