Division Four South West

Betws 0, Cwmgors 57

LEADERS Cwmgors simply proved far too strong for a spirited young Betws side and a win in their next match – at home against Cwmavon on Saturday – will guarantee the Division Four title.

On what proved an emotional afternoon, the Cherries handed the captain’s armband to prop Rhodri Rees for the day as the Royal Air Force man played his retirement game after 16 years’ loyal service.

And Rees predictably didn’t let the side down, giving a man-of-the-match performance as the Cherries powered to within touching distance of the title.

Betws competed well early on, and it took the leaders 20 minutes to break through the home side’s stubborn defence as wing Connor Edgecombe strode over.

It was left to outside half Steff Rees to convert and so take his record-breaking points tally to over 300 for the season.

A solid scrum platform created the opening on 25 minutes, Steff Rees himself going for for a superb solo try.

Cwm’s next try came via a line-out drive, second row Liam Jones finishing off well.

An excellent passing move then paved the way for the visitors’ bonus-point try as centre Rhys Williams galloped over.

On the stroke of half-time, fellow centre Darryl John claimed a fifth Cwm try, Rees again adding the extras for the Cherries to enjoy a commanding 31-0 half-time lead.

Cwmgors continued to spread the ball in the second half, another lightning break seeing Steff Rees going over for another converted try, before full back Lee Evans crossed the whitewash.

Rhys Williams brought up the 50 when claiming his second try of the day, the conversion calmly and capably added by retiring prop Rees.

But Cwmgors still weren’t finished and, with the last move of the game, Darryl John crossed for his second try of the afternoon, converted by prop Danny Jones.

Now two points ahead, Cwm will be looking to clinch the title at Parc y Werin this Saturday before ending the season with a re-arranged home fixture against Pyle on Wednesday, May 14.