Supercup Pool C – Round Two

Penybanc Panthers 20 Lampeter Ladies 5

Following their first round victory against Abergele, the Panthers have had to wait several weeks before returning to Supercup action following postponements against Bargoed Bears and Abergavenny.

However, Sunday was an opportunity to resume action in the WRU Ladies Supercup Pool C encounter against Lampeter.

Having beaten Lampeter twice in the league, the Panthers were full of confidence and it showed.

From the kick-off a powerful run showed off the handling skills of new recruit Fabiana O’Callahan.

Smart inter-play between the backs saw Leanne Macbeth - in at centre - crash over for a try only to see the score disallowed for a forward pass.

The Panther’s hard work on the training ground was clear as they showed great shape and cohesion in the scrum against a more experienced pack.

Refusing to give an inch, the Panthers created the platform for the silky backs to provide a spectacle of a try through some dazzling running as inside centre Brittony Price scampered over the whitewash.

The hosts dominated territory but under poor conditions the final pass always seemed to elude them.

With the rain beating down the game turned in Lampeter’s favour but after a series of phases a strong turnover by the impressive Angharad Edwards saw O’Callahan cross the for her first try for the Panther colours and a 10-0 helf-time lead.

Discussions between match and club officials regarding the worsening conditions saw the game continue – but only just.

The second half saw the Panthers pressing hard for a try and nippy scrum half Catrin Rees crossed from a neat passage of play to extend the Panthers lead to 15-0.

Lampeter put together a strong fightback and the experienced Claire Davies crashed over for a good individual try.

The Panthers could sense a bonus point in their grasp and continued to open the game wide and some good hands between prop Danielle Jenkins and hooker Kirsty Hopkins saw Price cross for her second.

With conditions deteriorating the referee called it a day on the hour, with the scoreline of 20-5 standing.