West Wales Cup

FOUR goalkeepers, three own goals and two hospital visits ensured an eventful afternoon at Cwm Level Playing Fields as Bryn took on Cwmfellin Press from Division One of the Swansea League.

Cwm got off to a good start and dominated the first 15mins with Bryn’s Aled Thomas making a series of fine saves to deny the hosts, but the pressure eventually paid when the visitors failed to clear a freekick and the hosts headed home to take the lead.

The goal woke Bryn from their slumbers and they began playing some nice football.

They created a number of chances before Scott Harries latched on to a neat through ball from Phil Eady to slot the ball just inside a post to level.

The equaliser spurred Bryn on and they began to dominate with Pete Windsor seeing an effort disallowed before Harries put the visitors ahead just before the break after some neat play from Rhodri Thomas on the left wing.

In the second half both sides created chances and Phil Eady saw an effort fizz past a post.

Cwm levelled when an unmarked midfielder nodded home from a corner, but Bryn maintained their dominance and saw chances spurned by Chris Eady and Dan Landeck.

With 25 minutes remaining, Bryn’s fortunes took a turn for the worse when ’keeper Thomas needed hospital treatment after an onfield collision, leading to a twenty-minutes delay.

Bryn centre-half Mark Griffiths took up the gloves for the first time, but from the restart Bryn were in disarray and Cwm took advantage.

An effort at goal, beat Griffiths but came back off a post, only to rebound off the make-shift stopper into the net.

Another strike found its way under his body and when a fifth was conceded, Griffiths swapped places with Chris Eady, who conceded one before dislocating his finger which also required hospital treatment.

Bryn player-manager Jason Harries took the number one shirt but to no avail as Cwm added a seventh before own goals from fullback Carl Jones and Matthew Bowden ended what began as a competitive game.