A peckish Gorlas man was almost three times the drink-drive limit when he got behind the wheel and went in search of an early morning burger after going on a drinking binge following the break-up of his long-distance relationship.

Andrew Matthew Jones, of 28 Clos Maes Rhedyn, was stopped by police at 5.35M on July 13 while driving a Dacia car along Llandeilo Road, Cross Hands, after officers were contacted by concerned staff at the nearby McDonalds fast-food outlet.

Ellie Morgan, prosecuting, told Llanelli magistrates how, when confronted by the police, the 31-year-old smelled of alcohol, his eyes were glazed and his speech slurred.

Jones was arrested and taken to Llanelli Police Station where tests showed he had 100 microgrammes of alcolhol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

“It was a very high reading,” said Ms Morgan.

Peter Rhys Jones told the court that Jones “did not normally drink heavily” but had spent the previous evening out with friends.

“He went home and he slept for a few hours but woke up feeling peckish,” said Mr Rhys Jones.

“The nearby McDonalds outlet has a 24-hour drive-thru and it was the staff there that alerted the police.

“He was stopped on his way home.”

Probation officer Tim Jenkins said Jones had gone out drinking in Swansea with friends after he and his Australian girlfriend had split during a long-distance phone call earlier in the day.

“He then drank too much,” said Mr Jenkins.

“They took a taxi home and he went to bed at 2am but he woke up three hours later and drove to McDonalds.

Mr Jenkins said Jones had expressed “proper remorse”.

“He understands that things could have been so much worse.

“He is thoroughly ashamed of his actions.

“It appears he allowed his emotions to get the better of him that evening.”

Jones admitted drinking while over the legal limit.

Magistrates sentenced him to a community order and 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was banned from driving for 23 months and ordered to pay £85 court costs and further £60 legal surcharge.