Betws councillors may end residents' blackout
3:20pm Tuesday 15th October 2013 in Ammanford news
BETWS community councillors are pondering whether to temporarily fund streetlighting on a Betws estate whose residents have been consigned to darkness for the past decade.
Residents of Parc Nant-y-Felin have been left without streetlamps after the developer’s parent company went bust and the estate has still to be adopted by Carmarthenshire County Council ten years after it was built, members were told at their latest monthly meeting.
The local authority says the process has been delayed while Welsh Water officials carry out a sewer assesment.
In the meantime, county council officers have suggested that Betws council might fund the cost of the streetlighting until the road is formally adopted.
County councillor Ryan Bartlett said the situation had not resulted from the actions of the local authority, but had been borne out of problems experienced by the developer.
Cllr Anne Sizmur felt the council should pay for the lights as residents had literally been left in the dark for around ten years. “It’s awkward for the people living there and quite possibly dan - gerous,” she said.
Community clerk Cerith Griffiths warned the council may end up facing a sizable bill if the situation somehow dragged on for a few years. “We could also be setting a precedent,” he added.
Cllr June Gunter felt the council should be “wary” of County Hall’s propos - al and it was agreed to waive a decision pending further investigation.
Comments are closed on this article.