Assault case faces delay
9:00am Saturday 21st July 2012 in News
THE case against a 23-yearold Llandybie man accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm on a fellowreveller will be decided “one way or the other” when he next appears in court, magistrates have said.
Ben Phillip Bush, of 75 Ammanford Road, stands accused of knocking Mark Phillips unconscious with a single punch outside the Three Salmons pub in Carmarthen at 12.50am on February 25. Bush, who denies the charge, appeared before magistrates in Carmarthen last week when the case was due to have been committed to Swansea Crown Court for trial.
However, prosecutor Ellie Morgan told magistrates that the CPS had been unable to complete the necessary paperwork on time due to a shortage of staff.
“At present, 12 committal cases are being handled by two lawyers,” Ms Morgan said. “Put simply, there is a difficulty with manpower.”
In addition, Ms Morgan said a number of issues relating to the prosecution case had been highlighted.
“The lawyer preparing the case has raised certain points with the police,” she said.
However, defence solicitor Kate Williams questioned the delay.
“I would like it noted that if the prosecution case is not ready at the next hearing the defence will be seeking a discharge, said Ms Williams.
“This case has already gone on for a number of months.”
Magistrates agreed to adjourn the case until July 25 but warned that if committal papers were still not ready they would consider dismissing the charge.
“We will adjourn the case for progress to be made – one way or the other,” magistrates said.
After being found unconscious in the road by a nightclub doorman, Mr Phillips, who is said to have little recollection of the incident, was taken to Glangwilli Hospital suffering from a depressed fracture of the skull.