A Bulgarian went berserk inside a Cross Hands meat factory when he got it into his head that employees wanted to beat him up, a jury heard on Wednesday.

Sezay Yusein, aged 28, climbed on top of a huge industrial boiler and staff thought he was trying to make it explode by tampering with pipes and shouting "Bomb, bomb."

Yusein caused such alarm that police sent an armed unit to the Dawn Meats factory to deal with the situation.

After he had been arrested, he escaped from the police car he was in and ran across fields in the middle of the night towards Tycroes.

Yusein, of no address, denied burglary, causing criminal damage, affray and posing a danger to road users.

A jury at Swansea crown court cleared him of all the charges after hearing that he could not speak English and had panicked.

The court heard how Yusein had "driven a long way" to find work at the factory.

But soon after walking in staff challenged him because they knew he didn't work there.

Yusein, speaking through an interpreter, said he could not explain himself and began to panic when security staff arrived. He made his way around the factory as more and more employees followed him and he climbed on top of a boiler to escape them.

He denied tampering with the pipe work or using the word "bomb."

After the armed response unit arrived PC Roger Jones told him to climb down from the boiler but he refused of could not understand.

PC Jones grabbed him and he was arrested on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant.

Frank Phillips, prosecuting, said on his way to Ammanford police station it was realised he was entitled to be in the country and he was "de-arrested." As an officer used a mobile telephone to contact an interpretation service Yusein knocked it out of his hand, pulled on the hand brake and ran off across fields.

He arrived at a woman's house in Tycroes and she gave him a hot drink and warm clothing before telephoning the police.

Yusein was re-arrested.

Yusein told the jury he became confused and panicked while inside the factory. And in the police car he thought he was being kidnapped.

His barrister, Dyfed Thomas, said it was a bizarre case as all Yusein had wanted was a job so he could send money back to his wife and two children in Bulgaria.

And he was not mentally ill and had not taken drugs or drunk alcohol.

"He became frightened. There were a number of people following him through the factory. He had driven a long way in a foreign land and panicked," added Mr Thomas.