An Ammanford teenager found with 300 grammes of “cannabis debris” has been ordered to carry out 60 hours of unpaid work.

Daniel James Jenkins, of 22 Stewart Drive, appeared before Llanelli magistrates to admit possessing the Class B drug on February 15.

Ellie Morgan, prosecuting, told the court how police officers on patrol had followed the 19-year-old bricklayer from a property at Hendre Road, Tycroes, to Teglan Park.

After stopping his vehicle, Jenkins – a dad of one - removed two large bin liners from the car and made his way towards a property when he was confronted by the officers.

Inside the bags was growing equipment associated with the production of cannabis.

In Jenkins’ car, the officers discovered a small plastic bag containing three small cannabis buds.

Following his arrest, Jenkins was taken back to the property at Hendre Road.

In an upstairs bedroom was a white plastic bag containing 299.97 grammes of “poor quality” cannabis leaves, valued at £750.

“It appeared to be the waste product left over after cultivation,” Ms Morgan told the court.

“It looked like it had been swept up off the floor after a harvest and then placed in the bag.”

In interview, Jenkins admitted the drug was his.

He told police he spent between £40 and £50 per week on cannabis and he intended to smoke the stash discovered at Hendre Road.

The court was told Jenkins was convicted of cannabis possession in 2011, 2012 and again in November 2013, leading a 12-month conditional discharge.

Mike Reed, defending, told the court that the haul was in fact of no value whatsoever.

“The police described it as waste debris that had been put in a bag,” said Mr Reed.

“If he had not been able to buy cannabis he might have smoked it, but it was of very poor quality.”

Mr Reed said since his arrest Jenkins had given up cannabis.

“He used cannabis socially to relax in the evenings, however he now drinks alcohol to avoid getting into any more trouble with the law,” he said.

Jenkins was sentenced to a 12-month community order with a requirement to carry out 60 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a further £60 legal surcharge.

Magistrates removed the conditional discharge imposed in November, but imposed no additional sentence.

They ordered that the drug cultivation equipment be destroyed.