Dog mess 'endangers county refuse crews'

HOUSEHOLDERS in Carmarthenshire are being asked to dispose of their dog mess carefully.

It follows concerns regarding the quantity of dog faeces in black bags and the health and safety implications for refuse crews when loading the bags into the vehicles.

All faeces contains bacteria that can cause stomach upsets if ingested, however, the greatest risk from dog mess is toxocariasis – which can cause epilepsy, asthma and even blindness.

When out walking, residents are being reminded to carry dog mess bags with them and then use the number of litter bins dotted throughout the county.

Black bags found to contain large amounts of dog mess will not be collected, in line with council policy.

Executive Board Member for Technical Services Cllr Colin Evans said: “We have had a number of incidents with dog mess recently when loading black bags into our refuse vehicles.

“Not only is it extremely unpleasant for our operatives, but it is a serious health risk. We are asking householders to please co-operate and dispose of their dog faeces carefully.”

Residents are also being reminded to please clean up after your dog in a public place or risk a fixed penalty notice of £75.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree