Demolition plans on hold for site visit
2:13pm Wednesday 15th January 2014 in News
Plans to demolish two semi-detached properties in Glanaman to create access to a proposed new housing estate have been put on hold.
Carmarthenshire county council’s planning committee had been expected to give a green light to the application to bulldoze the neighbouring properties at 68 and 70 Tirycoed Road after it was put before them with a recommendation for approval from their own planning department.
The scheme would create a roadway into vacant land to the rear of the properties where the applicant is seeking to build 14 semi-detached new homes.
However, Councillor David Jenkins, who represents Glanaman, urged members to visit the site to better understand the impact of any new development and increased traffic on Tirycoed Road.
“I do have problems with this development due in the main to the impact on the highway,” said Cllr Jenkins.
Cllr Jenkins also expressed concern at what he claimed were factual errors in the planning officer’s recommendation.
“The report’s claim that there is no on-street parking on Tirycoed Road is simply wrong,” he said.
In addition he questioned comments in the report which described access to the site and its proximity to the nearest primary school.
“It talks about Glanaman primary school, which closed in 2005,” said Cllr Jenkins.
He also claimed the access point mentioned has been sealed to traffic “for a number of years”.
Members unanimously agreed to carry out a site visit prior to reaching any decision.
Comments are closed on this article.