Tycroes man threatened to burn down two homes

A TYCROES man with a conviction for arson has received a suspended prison sentence for threatening to burn down the homes of two women.

Lyn Bowen, aged 55, had denied harassment and threatening to cause criminal damage.

But he was found guilty after a trial before Llanelli magistrates and today appeared at Swansea crown court for sentencing.

Bowen fell out with Kendall Evans and – in an apparent attempt to get her into trouble – began writing threatening letters to Joanne Underwood, also of Tycroes.

He signed the letters “from Kendall” and they arrived regularly between January 1, 2012 and April 17, 2013.

Bowen threatened to burn down Joanne Underwood’s home and the home of her mother, Sandra Bowen.

Judge Peter Heywood said Kendall Evans was arrested but when police showed her the letters she recognised his handwriting.

Police asked him for a sample of his writing but he refused to provide one.

Judge Heywood said Bowen had been malicious and spiteful and the threats to burn down houses was all the more sinister because of his previous conviction for arson.

“These are serious offences. It was a foul course of conduct,” added the judge.

Bowen, of Brynhafod, was jailed for 18 months, suspended for two years. He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work for the community, to attend a thinking skills course and to pay a £100 government surcharge.

Judge Heywood said he suspended the prison sentence only because Bowen’s wife was ill and he cared for her.

He also made a restraining order banning Bowen from contacting Joanne Underwood.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree