Electrocution man grew cannabis plants at flat
9:00am Friday 4th January 2013 in News
A 44-YEAR-OLD Llandeilo man who was forced to call an ambulance after electrocuting himself at home has appeared before magistrates to admit drug possession and cultivation after rescue crews discovered cannabis in his flat.
Gary McClelland, of 3 Park Lewis, called the emergency services to his first-floor home at 11.45am on Sunday, November 18, claiming he had been injured by faulty wiring.
Police and fire crews also attended the property, fearing a blaze had broken out.
Gerald Neave, prosecuting, told Carmarthenmagistrates that while on the premises one police officer recognised the smell of cannabis emanating from a bedroom.
When she went to investigate she discovered 12 cannabis plants inside a growing tent.
In another room she spotted a 19.5-gramme lump of cannabis resin.
In interview, McClelland, who has recovered from his injuries, admitted he had been growing the Class B drug to smoke.
He claimed he had bought the resin in a local pub for £30.
Peter Martin, defending, told the court that McClelland, who has a number of similar convictions to his name, “is a cannabis user and has been for a number of years”.
Mr Martin said McClelland smoked the drug for pain relief following an ankle break some years earlier and to alleviate the onset of arthritis.
Mr Martin described McClelland’s growing tent as “not a particularly sophisticated operation”.
Magistrates adjourned sentencing to allow for the completion of probation reports investigating whether McClelland was a suitable candidate for a drug rehabilitation programme.